Marion County Courthouse

Columbia, Mississippi




Marion County was founded in 1811 by South Carolinians John and William Lott. They named the county after Revolutionary War hero General Francis Marion and the county seat after the Lott's home town. Known over the years for its timber industry and as the home of Mississippi Governor Hugh White (1936-1940; 1952-1956), Columbia is perhaps best recognized for the fact that it was founded six years before Mississippi joined the Union as the 20th state and for serving as Mississippi's state capital between 1821 and 1822. The Marion County Courthouse was built when the county was established, and it lies in the heart of downtown Columbia. The courthouse includes the Circuit Clerk's and Chancery Clerk's offices and records on the first floor and the county court on the second floor.

Copyright Disclaimer:

These materials are presented online for educational purposes only.

Requests for copies or questions about collections:

If site visitors would like copies of records not scanned, these are available for a $10.00 search fee plus $0.50 per page copy fee. Please contact the Marion County Circuit Clerk's Office at 601-736-8246


Browse all MCC Items


Mississippi Digital Courthouse Project